The Honest Guidance You Need To Best Protect Your Rights

How to get a restricted license after DUI charges

On Behalf of | Jul 17, 2018 | Firm News

One of the penalties defendants may face for Driving Under the Influence (DUI) in Pennsylvania is license suspension. Depending on the number of offenses you have had, your suspension may last between 12 and 18 months. However, defendants may be able to apply for a restricted license to use until this suspension is over. This could mean a world of difference for those who rely on a vehicle to commute to work, see their children, purchase groceries or fulfill other important responsibilities.

Occupational Limited License

If you have served the minimum suspension for a DUI offense, you may be eligible for an occupational limited license (OLL). This temporary license allows drivers to commute to and from certain authorized locations.

To request an OLL you must:

  1. Have paid all DUI fees and fines ordered by the court
  2. Complete an Occupational Limited License (OLL) Petition (Form DL-15)
  3. Pay non-refundable petition and application fees
  4. Send the application and payment by certified mail to the court address on the OLL petition form
  5. Wait to receive a letter of acceptance or denial
  6. If approved, follow provided instructions by visiting your local DMV office

Before applying for your restricted license, you can consult a lawyer to discuss your eligibility for an OLL. If you are currently facing DUI charges, contact a criminal defense attorney to get help defending your case.