Offenders in the Harrisburg area facing drug and alcohol related criminal charges may qualify for drug court in Dauphin County. This diversion program offers intensive court-supervised treatment for substance abuse issues with the goal of achieving a sober lifestyle and preventing future involvement with the court system.
Review the program and eligibility requirements if you struggle with addiction and face a DUI or drug charges in Dauphin County.
You must be at least 18 years old and living in Dauphin County to qualify for the Drug Court program. You must have a substance use disorder screening that indicates a problem with drugs or alcohol and display a desire to change and a commitment to the tenets of the program.
Phases of Drug Court
Drug Court takes about 26 weeks to complete as you pass through five phases of recovery:
- Phase 1 focuses on accountability and attendance with weekly court appearances, treatment sessions, drug tests, probation officer meetings, medication compliance and community support as indicated
- Phase 2 focuses on honesty and outlook, and requires you to display these characteristics as you continue to complete the Phase 1 requirements
- Phase 3 focuses on developing a support system with positive social relationships, including the development of sober activities and hobbies
- Phase 4 focuses on personal responsibility and requires you to make arrangements to pay your court fees and outstanding child support if necessary. You must also make a plan to obtain stable employment or continue your education.
- Phase 5 focuses on maintaining sobriety and preparing for life outside of the Drug Court program
You can start the process with a referral from your attorney or the prosecutor handling your case.